We will be explaining advent itself, the anticipation, preparation for and countdown to the celebration of the coming of Jesus.
– Handprint wreaths (inspired by this but there are plenty of instructions elsewhere also)
– Finishing patterns on wreaths using holly leaves and berries
– Ways to make the number 24 (using 24 red balls and 24 pipe cleaners)
MARY AND JOSEPH
We will look at Mary and Joseph, their journey to Bethlehem and their obedience to God’s plan for them.
– Journey to Bethlehem game, reading words with ‘s’ and ‘sh’ sounds
– Shadow puppets
– Roll and create a felt picture of Mary and Joseph’s journey
– Mary’s song and praising God
JESUS AND THE NATIVITY
This theme will focus on the birth of Jesus.
– Matchbox manger (inspired by this)
– Matching words and pictures
– Learning to draw a nativity scene, each page of the book builds one more element into the scene (idea from here)
– Cut and paste nativity scene
JESUS, LIGHT OF THE WORLD
– Light of the world find-a-word
– Silhouette nativity scene candle holders (I have used black contact on jars and battery operated tea lights)
– Star and manger light garland (we will place a light from the string of lights through each of the stars and manger)
– Torch projections of star, candle and manger
– Light of the world verses