The little man was recently given a science kit which he loves so with Easter approaching and so many experiments that use eggs we decided to have some fun with egg science. We also talked about new life and Jesus’ resurrection which we celebrate at Easter.
“Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: ‘The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.’ ” ~ Luke 24:6-7 (NIV)
– Shedding eggs – dissolving the shell off eggs in vinegar. Then we used these naked eggs as bouncing eggs (instructions here). These are so much fun.
– Swinging Eggs (instructions here)
– Shrinking eggs (with a naked egg in a sugar solution. Instructions here. We also used a raw egg in another sugar solution to compare.)
– Ordering eggs by size
– Spinning eggs (raw vs hard boiled eggs). We also used raw and hard boiled eggs for rolling eggs and squeezing eggs (instructions here).
– Floating eggs (instructions here). We also tried raw vs hard boiled eggs to see whether they sink or float.
– Exploding egg (the little man loves making volcanoes so we decided an eggshell would be a good container for one. We just combined bicarb soda with vinegar coloured red).
– Word match and spell using the little man’s science kit (idea from here)