Here are the majority of our advent activities for this year. The first four themes are here, the last four are here and the full list is here.
We will look at the messages the angels brought and focus on their rejoicing at that good news.
– Angel pancakes (not pictured)
– Decorating polystyrene angels
– Painting with angel cookie cutters as stamps
– Pom pom and wooden peg angels (idea from these fairies)
– Angel wing match (matching pairs of words with the same silent letter – k, h, w, b, g and t)
Linked to our theme of angels, we will enjoy the music of Christmas carols as well as the message they tell.
– Wooden spoon carolers, which we will both make and use as puppets
– Matching lyrics of carols
– Salt tray with sheet music of carols underneath
– Singing together
SHARING THE GOOD NEWS
Again this theme is linked to angels – just as they shared the good news we also want to share it. I have chosen to incorporate bells into this theme as they bring attention to those sharing the good news. I also want to reinforce and have the little man retell the Christmas story in different ways so that he is proficient at sharing it.
– Christmas bingo
– Bell Hershey kisses memory. We have two versions, one using pictures and another using lower and uppercase letters (idea from here)
– Bell scoop transfer (idea from this bauble transfer)
– Storybook prompts for the little man to write his own Christmas story
Once again the shepherds shared the good news, and glorified and praised God for what they saw, so we will focus on doing the same.
– Sheep and shepherd tic-tac-toe
– Multiplication by counting groups of stars, angels, sheep and shepherds
– Paper bag sheep with painted wool and details to glue on
– Marshmallow sheep (idea from here)
– Paper people sheep and shepherds to decorate
The wise men were joyful and worshipped Jesus, giving him gifts, so we will encourage each other in how we can worship Jesus also.
– Wise men chalkboard silhouettes to draw on
– Cut and paste wise men craft
– Felt crowns to decorate
– More and less than with gold coins
– Wise men bottles with stars (we have one bigger one to represent the star that the wise men followed), glitter, water and oil (idea from here, under science activities)
– Explanation of the gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh (not pictured)
This theme is linked to the wise men and the star that they followed.
– Crayon resist star painting
– Star search and find (there are chocolate stars hidden in with the Hershey kisses)
– Wool wrapped star ornaments
– Star cinnamon ornaments (not pictured)
– Star sandwich (not pictured)
GIFTS AND KINDNESS
This theme is also linked to the wise men and we will use it to encourage each other to be selfless and kind toward others.
– Gift-wrapping station (idea from here)
– Wrapping candy using cut out paper to look like a wise man (we have used small boxes of skittles)
– Washi tape tree cards, both to make and to write in and give to others (inspired by these cards)
– Small presents for some of the little man’s friends
– Painting presents using a square stamp and ribbons
– Coming up with ways to be kind (not pictured)